TakingITGlobal on Engaging Youth
TakingITGlobal is an international organization that uses its website and teacher support to engage youth worldwide in understanding and taking action on global issues. As you explore this resource, notice the ways the TakingITGlobal program engages students in 21st Century learning and effectively uses ICT. Co-Founder and Director Michael Furdyk offers a guided tour of the TakingITGlobal resources for students and teachers in a 17-minute presentation at the 2006 Schools of the Future Summit. This presentation gives a good overview of the many functions available through TakingITGlobal.org.
How this resource can support you along the innovation continuum:
- Become part of an online community to engage students in global issues.
- Engage students in real life global issues and provide a range of tools to support this.
- Ideas on how project-based learning can be integrated into the curriculum (through the 15 case studies on project-based learning on the TIGed Best Practices Publication.
- Global awareness and understanding across cultures is key to the future of the planet.
- Student dropout and disengagement rates are at all-time highs, and cost billions in lost economic opportunities and crime (hence the need to engage using meaningful and relevant learning).
- Collaborative learning communities provides youth with access to global opportunities, cross-cultural connections and meaningful participation in decision-making.